Sunday, July 11, 2010

Found Something To Write About

So, I've been chilling here at Riley's house the past few days, and they have really helped my mood. I even came up with something to write about.

Everybody deserves to be able to choose what they want to do in their lives (I'm talking career-wise). Nobody should pressured into a job that they don't want just because their relatives want them to be in a particular field of work. Take me, for example. I love engineering, and at one point I was absolutely positive that I was going to be an architect or structural engineer when I grow up. Now, I still love it, but I've been thinking about some other career options. My mom still has her mind set on me being an engineer. And I have friends who "want" to be doctors or business schmucks behind desks in a chair in a nice 9 to 5 office job. Is that really what they want? NO. It is merely what their parents and grandparents have told them that they will do, whether they like it or not. Which isn't fair. One of the friends would rather be an artist or graphic designer. But her parents refuse to accept that as an option for her. And it isn't fair. And if you ask them, they got to chose what to do with their lives. But they won't allow their children to have the same freedom they did. Can you say double standard? I know I can. It just gets on my last nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment